The WLB8 was a direct replacement for the WLB1 and was again available in a range of outputs from 1.5 HP - 5 HP in low, medium and high speed guises. The major difference with the WLB8 is the change in hopper design. Again, the familiar ribbed cast iron item is used, albeit larger than the standard WD hopper. It can only be assumed that the steel plate design of the WLB1 hopper proved costly to manufacture and perhpas did not achieve the same level of cooling as a finned hopper would provide. Single and twin flywheel models were again available in petrol or petrol paraffin versions. Magnetos were either the Wico A series or Lucas SR, the engine still retained the original style War Department specification silencer. Again, these engines are not often seen in preservation even although around 46,000 engines were produced from the introduction of the engine in 1949.